What is Magnesium Nitride
What is Magnesium Nitride?
Magnesium Nitride, is an inorganic molecule with the chemical formula Mg3N2. It is a part of the cubic crystal system. At low temperatures, pure magnesium nitride is a yellow-green powder and magnesium nitride which contains some magnesium oxide impurities is greyish white.
The molar mass of magnesium nitride is 100.95g/mol. Its density 2.712g/cm3. Magnesium Nitride is completely dissolved in water and acid, but is partially dissolvable when mixed with alcohol and ethanol.
The melting point for magnesium nitride reaches 1500 degrees. Magnesium nitrideis one of the metal nitrides, reacts water to form ammonia. A catalyst is often employed. React with acid and aqueous nonmetallic oxides , forming ammonium salts as well as magnesium salts.
Magnesium Nitride is a clay-like substance found in nature. Magnesium nitride has high corrosion resistance and greatly improves the efficiency of production. Magnesium Nitride also has high thermal conductivity, as well with high corrosion resistance and resistance to temperature. Magnesium Nitride is of additional importance because it is used as a catalyst used in the synthesizing of boron.
What is Magnesium nitride Used for?
1. A catalyst used to making nitride from other elements that have high hardness and thermal conductivity. It is also a good choice for wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and very high-temperature resistance. In the first successful formula for cubic boron it was the catalyst that was used, magnesium Nitride.
2. This is a high strength steel Smelting additives. Magnesium nitride (Mg3N2) replaces desulphurized magnesium in construction smelting. It is useful to increase the density strength tension, and bearing strength of steel. Furthermore, the usage of magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) desulfurizationmay decrease the amount of other additivesand help reduce the production cost of construction steel.
3. This is used to make special ceramic materials;
4. In the process of making a special alloy foaming agent
5. For manufacturing special glass;
6. For catalytic crosslinking of polymers
7. To recycle nuclear waste;
How Do You Produce Magnesium Nitride?
At present, the main methods for making magnesium nitride include direct reaction method of magnesium powder with nitrogen, reaction method of magnesium with nitrogen in nitrogen plasma flow and the magnesium coil explosion method in nitrogen atmosphere the low pressure chemical gas process, self-propagating high temperature synthesis method the synthesis of nano magnesium, etc.
Recently, G. Soto et al. have prepared amorphous magnesium nutride films with different Mg:N ratios on Si substrates in a nitrogen molecular atmosphere using pulse laser deposition. This method limits their industrial production because of the cost of production, lengthy process as well as the complexity of operating equipment or the low yield of magnesium nutride.
Although the direct reaction of magnesium powder with nitrogen is of significant industrial potential, the making of magnesium nitride powder needs more heat and a longer reaction time. Also, the form of the particles isn't perfect and easy for agglomeration, that's why they don't meet the specifications of industrial quality. The NH3 is decomposed into Nwhich has broken bonds more easily than N2, and decomposed H2 may slow the growth of MgO. Therefore, ammonia gas is an ideal nitrogen source. Chen Faqin et al. utilized liquid ammonia as a nitrogen source to prepare magnesium nitride powder through direct nitriding of magnesium powder. The following conclusions can be drawn: Using thermodynamic analysis, liquid ammonia can react with magnesium powder more easily than nitrogen to prepare magnesium nitride; High quality magnesium nitride, with homogeneous and pure powder particles is made by heating it to 600 and ammonia pressure for 1 hour. Then, it's heated to 800degrees, with an ammonia flow rate of 500ml/min , and nitriding time of 1h.
Magnesium Nitride Powder Mg3N2
We are a reliable global chemical materials supplier and manufacturer that has more than 12 years' experience providing premium chemicals and nanomaterials, such as silicon powder, nitride powder, graphite , zinc sulfide, calcium nitride, 3D printing powder, and more.
If you're looking to purchase high-quality Mg3N2 powder, please feel free to reach us via email and submit an inquiry. (email@example.com)