Manisegaran on M.G.R
MUSIC DIRECTORS FOR MGR FILMS(From the time MGR emerged as hero)
2.Rajakumari-SM Subbiah Naidu(SMS)
3.Abimanyu-CRSubbaraman/SM Subbiah Naidu
6. Ratnakumar-G RAmanatahan/CRS
8.Maruthanaattu Ilavarasi-MS Gnanamani
11. Andamaan Kaithi-Govindarajulu Naidu
12. En Thangai-CN Padnurangan
14. Genova-MSVisvanathan/MS Gnanamani/TA Kalyanam
15. Naam-CS Jayaraman
16. Panakkaari-SV VEngatraman(SVV)
20.Ali Baba & 40 Thirudarkalum-S.Dachinamurthy
22.Tahikku Pin Thaaram-KVM
23. Chakravarthy Thirumakal-GR
28.Thaai Magalukku Kattiya Thaali-TR Paappa
29.Bagdad Thirudan-Govindarajulu Naidu
33.Nallavan Vaazhvaan- TR Paappa
35.Thaai Sollai Thattathey-KVM
To be continued....
MDs for MGR films(cont)
41.Thayai Kaatha Thanayan-KVM
42. Vikkiramathithan-S. Rajeswararao
44.Darmam Thalai Kaakkum-KVM
46. Kaanji Thalaivan-KVM
48.Neethikku Pin Paasam-KVM
51.Periya Idathu Pen-VR
56. Thaayin Madiyil-SMS
60. Aayirathil Oruvan-VR
61.Enda Veetu Pillai-VR
73. Thaali Bagyam-KVM
75. Arasa Kattalai-KVM
77. Thaaikku Thalai Magan-KVM
79. Ragasiya Police115-MSV
80 Ther Thiruvizha-KVM
81. Kudiyiruntha Koyil-MSV
82.Kannan En Kaadalan-MSV
83. Puthya Boomi-MSV
85. Oli Vilakku-MSV
86. Kathal Vaaganam-KVM
88. Nam Naadu-MSV
90. EN Annan-KVM
92. Thedivantha Mappillai-MSV
93. Engal Thangam-MSV
96. Neerum Neruppum-MSV
97.Oru Thaai Makkal- MSV
100.Raman Thediya Seethai-MSV
102.Naan Yen Piranthen-Sangkar Ganesh
103.Idaya Veenai-Sangkar Ganesh
104.Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban-MSV
106. Netru Indru Naalai-MSV
108.Sirithu Vaazha Vendum-MSV
109. Ninaithathai Mudippavan-MSV
113.Nethikku Thalai Vanagu-MSV
116.Indru Pol Enrum Vaazhga-MSV
119. Maduraiyai Meetta Sundara Paandiyan-MSV
Some info about MGR songs
1. Mayakkum Maalai Pozhuthey Nee Po Po was orignially composed by KVM for the film Koondukkili, but later used in Kulebagavali in which VR were MDs. Both are RR films.
2.The song Nerungi Nerungi Pazhagum Pothu was orignially composed by KVM for a film of MGR that never was released. But this song was used in Netru Indru Naalai in which MSV was the MD.
3. In early 1960s two songs from MGR films were banned for some time in All India Radio Madras for "aabasam" They are:
a) SAroja Devi:Hoi... Hoihoihoi...Ithu varai Neenga Paartha Paarvai Ithukkaagathaanaa? Ippadi Endru Solli Irunthaal thaniye varuvenaa..hoi hoihoihoii
MGR: Sollil Vilangatha Ezhuthil Adangatha Sugathai Arinthayo... Thookkam Valaraamal Bakki Theriyamal Ekkam Adaitnhaayo? hoi Hoihoi hoi..(Panakkara Kudumbam)
b) Thottuvida Thottuvida thodarum-kai pattuvida pattuvida malarum (Dharmam Thalai Kakkum)
3. A few songs were recorded but never were released or added into the movies. Examples are:
a) Theertha Karaiyiniley antha senbaga thottathiniley-recorded for Madurai Veeran, but left out
b) Ulagam Sutrum Valibanodu Payanam Vanthaval Naan and Ninaikkum Pothey Thanakkul Sirikkum Maathu-left out in Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban
4. MGR had a fierce clash with TMS during recording of songs for Adimai Penn. MGR brought a new singer through Adimai Penn to check TMS. That is SP Balasubramaniam (This is has been mentioned several times)
5.Jayalalitha became a singer through MGR's effort in Adimai Penn
6. There was one film song which almost cost MGR his political career. It was highly condemned. The song is from Thanippiravi in which MGR and Jayalalitha appear as Valli and Murugan. The song is "edirpaaramal Nadanthathadi-mugam Kannukkul vizhunthathadi" Jayalalitha used this poster for her campaign and won under the limelight of MGR.
7. S. Rajeswara Rao composed only for one film-Viramathithan and it had good songs. Vannam Paaduthey is till today said to be the song with the fastest musical score.
8. Kunnakkudi vaithiyanathan composed for only one film -Navarathinam-useless and AP Nagarjan had to die. MGR originally wanted to request KK Vaithiyanathan to compose for Ulagam Sutrum Valiban. Then he changed his mind. A wise decision!
9. Many great MDs had composed form MGR movies. Unfortunately great MDs like TG Lingappoa and Sudarsanam had not composed for MGR movies.
10. In a rare situation SC Krishnan had sung playback for MGR in the film Rajarajan. The song is "Aayimalaikkanni aangaraDeviye".
Likewise in the film Kathal Vaganam LR Eswary sings for a scene in which MGR appears as a female dancer. The song is "Enna Man Ponnu Naan Summa Summa Paarkathey"
11. BR Bantulu buzzed off from Sivaji's unit after the film Muradan MUthu and came to MGR to produce Aayirathil Oruvan, MGR gave all the needed cooperation. He wanted every aspect to excell. In one song situation Vali copuld not rise to the expectaion of MGR. MGR forgot his bitter feelings towards Kannadasan and tracked him down and called him to compose the song. With the first pallavi, Kannadasan won MGR's heart, and MGR aksed him to complete the rest of the songs. The song is Odum Megangaley Oru Sol Keliro... Unforunatly Ayirathil Oruvan was the last joint work for MSV and TKR.
12. At a time when Kannadasan and MGR had political differences, MGR did not allow the kaviyarasar to write for his films. But Sridar never released his filsm without the songs of Kannadasan.Sridar was producing Urimaikkural. There was one song which was written and recorded without the knowledge of MGR. When MGR heard the song, he wanted to know if it was the work of Kannadasan. Director Sridar admitted. But MGR asked Sridar to show Kannadasan's name in the title card in the film. The reason MGR gave was not to cover up the ability of any talented person. At times MGR's magnanimity swells by leaps and bounds. The song is Vizhiye Kathai Ezhuthu. This was a turning point for Jesudass.
13. After the death of Kannadasan, MGR gave an interview in which he admited that he used to listen to the song "Acham Enbathu Madamaiyadaa' from Mannathi Mannan whenever he was down in spirit. The song is by Kannadasan.
14. When Naalai Namatehy was in the production stage Kamalahasan was booked to dance with MGR for the song Naan Oru Medai Padagan. Later MGR replaced this qualified dancer for obvious reason.
15. Initially MGR feared to dance with L. Vijayalachumy for the song Aadaludan Paadalai Kettu Rasippathilethaan Sugam Sugam Sugam..in Kudiyiruntha Kovil. But later he agreed on condition no outsider is allowed during the rehearsal and filming of the song scene. The scene was again subjected to his approval. It is still said that MGR did better than the qualified dancer.
16. Several MGR songs were used at one time in the Tamil School books in Malaysian schools-in the 1960s. No more now. Thoongathey Thamnbi Thoongathey in Nadodi Mannan and Chinna Payale Chinna Payaley in Arasilangumari are examples.
The MD for Enga Mama is MSV. The MD for Annamittakai is KVM. Personally speaking I do not think that is true. But some others may verify this.
MORE INFO ON MGR SONGS
1. Many of the pallavis for MGR songs were given by MGR himslef. MGR suggested Ematrathey Emarathey for ADimai Penn. Vali took this pallavi to KVM who changed it to Yematrathey Yematrathey... Yemarathey Yemarathey.
MSV himself suggested Rajavin Parvai Raniyin PAkkam for Anbe Vaa, and it was accepted by Vali and MGR.
2. MGR tried to dominate the MDs. It worked on some but the ISai methai G Ramanathan did not the least give in. MGR used to send messengers to GR, suggesting tunes for songs. GR used to reply along this line " I do not tell MGR how to handle sword in fgighting scenes, similarly I dont expect him to tell me how to handle tunes. He is authority in his field and Iam authority in my area" That may explain why he used SM Subbiah naidu for Nadodi Mannan. SMS is one of the closest friends of MGR and used to follow MGR wherever he went.
3.In 1956 Mahadevi was being produced. Kannadasasn wrote a song for a park situation. The kathali would wait for a long time and sleep off. The kathalan would come later and rubs her face gently to wake her up. She wakes up to her shock. Then the song goes. "Naanandri Yaar varuvaar. Ilam Nangai Unai veru Yaar thoduvaar" MGR did not like this song. So Kannadasan replaced it with "Kan Moodum Velayilum kalai enne kalaiye". Kannadasan was wild with MGR. Several other pressures forced him to produce his own film. Two years later in 1958 he took Malayitta Mangai in which he created the same situation and made TR Mahalingam and Mynavathi to act out the song mentioned above. TR Mahalingam made a personal request to Visvanathan Ramamoorthy. People used to believe that TRMahalingam could only sing high pitch songs. He asked for the the lowest possible pitch in the song. Thats how the sopng became the lowest pitch song of TRM.
4. Ulagam Sutrum Valiban was shot in a hasty manner. There was not sufficient lighting for several overseas scenes. So MGR erected about 40 settings in Sathya studio to overcome these flaws. He took painful effort to get the best out of MSV. He even rounded up convent school girls to produce the laughung sound for the song "Sirithu Vazha vendum" Of course there are inner stories for every song, which has to go under separate chapther.
5. The late Puthaneri Subramaniam was a bakthan of MGR. MGR wanted to use his song in Nadodi Mannan. The song is "Veesu thendraley Veesu Vetkai Neengave Veesu" When MGR went outstation, the song was rejected by the cine politics. When MGR came back he found that the song was not accepted by his story unit. Out of deep sadness he called up Puthaneri Subramaniam and explained his auckward situation and paid him off Rs 500. The song was later used in Ponni Thirunaal-sung by PB Sreenivos and P Suseela.
6. In 1958 Paathai Theriuthu Paar was being produced, and Vali gave one of his songs for the film. AS the film was a communist based one the song of Vali was most appropriate. But the Music Director MB Sreenivasan rejected it. In 1963 the same song was accepted by MGR and VR for the film Padagoti. The song is "Koduthathellaam Koduthaan"
7. There are at least two songs that were written to directly hit MGR. After Thaikku Pin Tharam, Devar produced Neela Malai Thirudan. As MGR was busy Devar used Ranjan. But MGR wanted Devar to hold on for a while so that he himself would act in the film. Devar went ahead with Ranjan, and MGR gave Devar a lot of problems. Devar got hold of Maruthakazi and asked him to write a song hitting MGR. The song is "Sathiyame Latchiyamaai Kollada". The lines hitting MGR are:
"ethanaiyo medu pallam vazhiyile- unnai idaravittu thallap paarkum kuzhile- nee athanayum thandi kaalai mun vaiyada- nee anjamal kadamayile kan vaiyadaa..
"kullanarik koottam vanthu kurukkidum-nallavarku thollai thanthu madakkidum- nee ellalavum bayam kondu thayangathedaa-
avatrai emanulagam anuppi vaikka thayangathedaa"
MGR had to play politics in cinema for his survival. Later MGR and Devar became best of friends.
The other song is "Kaiyile panam irunthaal kazhuthai kooda arasanadi-kai thatta allairunthaal kakkai kooda rasiganadi" by Kannadsaasn in Karuppu Panam.
8. There are at least 2 songs that backfired on MGR. The thogayara of one song was banned and only the pallavi onwards was played in All India Radios when MGR was the CM. The thogayaraa that was left out was "Aayiram Karangal maraithirunthaalum aathavan Maraivathillai, aanaikalitte yaar thaduthaalum Alaikkadal Oivathillai" This amounted to say that the DMK could never be suppressed (aathavan). The pallavi is "aada Piranthavle aadi vaaa" Film Arasakattalai.
When MGR Was the CM the Tigers issu in Sri Lanka was burning. In the song "Eh Naadodi.. poga venddum Ododi" in Anbe Vaa. there is a sparking line that MGR sings "Puliyai Paaar Nadayile.. Puyalai Par seyalie.. Purium Paar Mudivile.. Mirattinaal Padiyuma? Virattinaaal Mudiyuma?" This is a direct refernce to the invincible power of the tigers. So this song too had to be carefully played in All India Radio.
9. At a time when MGR and Karunanithi were friends, MGR acted free for a MEgala Pictures-Engal Thangam. Vali wrote the first line "Naan Alavodu RAsippavan.... and was thinking of the next line. Karunanithi immediately responded with "Ethaiyum Alavindri Koduppavan" for the second line. Everyone accepted.
10. In Pillaiyo Pillai VAli wrote a song for Mu Ka Muthu. "Moondru Thamizh Thondriyathum Unnidamo- Nee Moovebnthar Vazhi vantha Mannavaro" MGR gave tiffen to Vali one morning and sked him if it was proper to say that Moondru thamzh emerged from Mu Ka Muthu. Vali's explanation was not well acepted by MGR. Pillaiyo Pillai was a clear indication that MGR's fame and growth was being checked.
11. In the film Bagdad Thirudan, MGR sang a song Podanum Kulla Podanum. But in the film Kavalkaran there is a song "Ninaithen Vanthaai Nooru vayathu" in the second half of the song he appears with the kulla. It was after this song that he started to permanently wear the white kulla.
12. In many songs MGR praised himself. By the time Adimai Penn was produced he was at the pinnacle of fame and glory. In the song "Unnai Paarthu intha ulagam sirikkirathu" he appears in mask. As the line goes "Nee kadavulai paarthathu kidayathu... avan karuppa sivappa theriyathu" Immediately he opens up his mask and reveals his face to his supporters. There is a tremendous applaus(They had seen the kadavul) Then he says "Iraivoan oruvan irukkindraan... Ezhayin sirippil irukkindraaan" This time MGR gives a broad smile. More thunderous applause! Anna is the one who said Ezhayil Sirpiil Iraivanai Kaanalaam. Here MGR says that and revealse himself. In DMK circles this became an issue tha was burning behind the scene.
MNORE TO COME
13. In thaikku in thaaram there is a song "Manusanai Manusan Sappidaranda Thambi Payale- ithu Maaruvatheppo theeruvatheppo thambi payale" In the record it goes lie this "Manusnai manusan sappidaranda Arumai thambi-ithu maaruvatheppo theeruvatheppo arumai thambi" The first version was recorded in the film. Devar the producer just came back from Anna's talk where he was using the words "Arumai thambi" several times. Devar was so much impressed that he requested Maruthakazi to change the pallavi ending in Arumai Thambi. But he was told that the recording and filming is over. Therfore he suggested that the change be made in the records. So TMS had to sing again. This is an important film for MGR and the DMK politically. In 1957 DMK and Congress stood against each other in the elections. The congress symbol was bull. In the film MGR fights with the bull. That particular poster was used in the elections. Result? DMK sewpt in the particular constituency.
14. MGR had acted in several of MK Thiagaraja Bagavathar's films. When he ws the CM he wanted to change the name of Tiruchy Kalai Arangu into Thiagaraja Bagavathar Kalai Arangu. The date was 2 October 1981. MGR was sceduled to appear at 11.30 in the morning. From 11.00 am onwards no song was played. At 11.30 MGR arrived in his car and alighteed. As he came out of his car this song was played "Vathanamey Chandra Bimbamo" to the thunderous applause and cheersing of the massive crowd there. MGR could not control his smile. He wsmiled and waved at the crowd. The crowd became more hysteric.
15. Petralthaan Pillaiya is the Tamil version of The Kid by CHarlie Chaplin. Half way through the film Saro and MGR had misunderstanding. They were not in talking terms. In the earliers song "Chakkrakkatti Raasathi En Manasa Vachiko kappathi" we could see the usual closeness and the rubbing works of MGR. But after that there was friction between them. MGR wanted to give up further filming. But MGR liked the film so much that he agreed to complete it despite the friction. Communication was through the director. One more song had to be completed. That is "Kannan Piranthaan Engal Kannan Piranthaan" The song scene was shot with some aloofness. MGR and Saro were clearly seen to be keeping distance. The film became a hit. But the confusion developed further ad dragged MR Ratha inside culminating in MR Ratha
and MGR shooting each other.
16. Just to say that MGR had phobia for speed. He was scared to ride fast on horses. Whatever speed we seee in movies is a techique called back projection. Distance shots are by stunts. Name Jeeva Sugam in Genoa and Uzhaippathila Uzhaippai peruvathila inbam are clear examples. He also feared flying in aeroplanes. He prefered trains. It was in Panam Padaithavan that he was forced to board a plane to go to Culcutta to shoot the scene for "Thannuyir Pirivathai Paarthavarillai". Likewise he had never ridden two wheelers in Tamil films. The one appearing in En Kadamai is a stunt. In Deivathai MGR's arrival in scooter alone is shown.
17. The song that took most time to complete is Neenga Nalla Irukkonum Nadu Munnera in Idayakkani. The Thogayaraa itself took three days to picturise on Kaveri. The most difficult song scene is said to be "Oru Pakkam Paarkkura" in Maattukkara Velan. The song that had most number of shots is "Ulagam... Azhagu kalaikalin Surangam" in Ulagam SUtrum Valiban. There were over 200 shots. Anyway the film itsef was shot for 6 hours. The editor was told to reduce it to 3 hours. He fell sick and was almost mad. Despite the editing, two songs were left out.
18. MGR in later days made it a pint to start his films with shooting on the Thaikkulam first, mainly song scenes. But after that every scene should be shot on him. The first MGR film for AVM was Anbe Vaa and the director Thirlokchander did not know this condition of MGR. The shooting of the song Rajavin Paarvai Raniyin Pakkam was going on in parts. One morning MGR was getting ready in the make up room. As usual it took hours. But Saroja Devi came out first and the following line was being shot "Aasayil Vilaintha Mathulam Kaniyo.. Kani Ithal thedum Kathalan Kiliyo" MGR came out with a sour face. His mood was gone for the day! Later Tirlokchander understood the cause. That was also the last film of AVM for MGR!
19. Vali loved a girl, but could not express his love to her. The girl kept on escaping from him. Around this time director Chanakya requested Vali to write a song for Enga Veetu Pillai. The situation happened to be the same faced by Vali in his real life. So he wrote
"Kumari Pennin Ullathile Kudi Irukka Naan Vara Vendum-Kudi Irukka Naan Varuvathedraal Vadagai Enna Thara Vendum?" The song scene was shot in Goa at a time when the Hindi Opposition was going on in Tamilnadu. The absence of MGR was made a political issue. But the truth is that oafter the song was played in the radio, and the film released, the girl felt the impact of the song and finally married Vali.
Vazhiya Vali vazhiyave
VANAKKAM! Padam MUDINTHATHU
Of course Arasakattalai came after Petralthaan Pillaiya. But Arasakattalai of MG Chakrabani had started off earlier than Petralthan Pillaya. In Arasakattalai you can see the entrance of Jayalalitha and the exit of Saro. In Nadodi Mannan you could see the entrance of Saro and the exit of Banumathi.
MGR in fact requested evryoone in the cine field to join his party. Among the actresses Latha came in first, then Jayalalitha and later Vennira Adai Nirmala. But in the case of Saro she was already retired from cinema and settled in Bangalore by June 1972 ie when ADMK was formed. Saro indicated interest in joining some other political party in Bangalore itself, not in the ADMK as Jayalalitha and Latha were stumbling block. As soon as Jayalalitha became CM she had mentioned in passsing that the throne could have gone to her had she stayed put in Tamilnadu. There was no touch with MGR after her marriage. Seen in this light there is no possiblity of MGR requesting her to join ADMK especially when she had disappeared from he soil of Tamilnadu. But someone else my throw light on your question.
Ethanaiyo MEdu Pallam was related to me personally by Maruthakazi when I saw him in his house in 1988.
After En Kadamai's flop MGR had to project DMK and Annadurai. SO there were many songs along the lines you had mentioned. Around the time En Kadamai was released the central government was going for the necks of cine stars for income tax. MGR went to the birthday of KAmaraj and presented him with a diamond ring, after which he made an unwise statement "KAmaraj EN Thalaivar, Anna En Vazhikkaatti" This angered DMK supporters who boycotted the good movie EN Kadamai and threatened to burn theatres screeing MGR films. MGR shivered and came back to DMK fold and promoted DMK and ANN in an aggressive manner.
MORE INFO ON MGR SONGS
1. In Tamil Film music SM Subbiah Naidu cannot be overlooked. The first song of TMS was under the music of SMS. MGR's first playback was by MM Mariappa, a relation of MGR- in the film Rajakumari. It is also said that this is the first playback song in Tamil. The first song of Kannadasan "Kalangathiru Manamey" in Kanniyin Kathali 1948 was given music composition by SMS. The first kolgai song of MGR and the first TMS voice for MGR was also by SMS in Malaikkallan. The song is Ethanai Kaalamthan Ematruvar intha Naattile. MGR overheard TMS singing "Konjum Kiliana Pennai Koondukkiliakkivittu" for the film Koondukili. He heard this in the studio and saw Sri Ramulu of Pachirajan films to use TMS for Malaikkallan. So was this song sung by TMS for MGR.
2. Many had been MDs for MGR movies. The last was Ilayaraja. Surprising? After MGR became CM there was the Parliamentary Elections in 1980 in which he got only two seats. He visibly shivered. Then he wanted to go back to silver screen to boost up his politics. He got Morarji Deasai -the then CM to allow him to act in films. Permission was granted. Vali wrote the songs and got TMS to even record a few songs. Ilayaraja composed music. Vali gave the title to the film- "Unnai Vida Matten". Later MGR changed his mind and abondended the effort. So the film never came out.
3. When Vali was composing songs for MGR, the usual "wolves" carried tales to MGR. This caused a drift between Vali and MGR. So Kannadasan was once again used by MGR. Just before that MGR had announced "From now onwards Vali would be the one writing songs for my films." implying that Kannadasan is out of favour. But after the wolves had done sufficent home work, Vali was kept away by MGR. Vali became downtroddedn economically, and was sufering from financial crisis. Later while songs were being produced for the film Thazhamboo, MGR sent message to Vali to compose "One " song for the film. Vali wrote a song and sent it away to the studio for recording. This is about the only song where Vali directly communicated his heart's feelings to MGR. Then they patched up their differences. The song in which Vali speaks to MGR is:
Engey Povidum Kaalam?-Athu
Ennaiyum Vazha vaikkum-Nee
Idayathai Thiranthu Vaithaal-athu
Ullathai Cholli Nallathai Cheithu
Varuvathai Varattum Enriruppom
Kadamayin Vazhiye Ninriruppom.
Oru Sila Perkal Oru Sila Natkal
Unmayin Kankalai Thiranthu vaippar
Poruthavarellaam Pongi Ezhiunthey
Moodiya Kankalai Thiranthu Vaippaar
Kavalaikal Nammai Enna Seiyum?
Uzhaippathu Onre Seyalenak Kondaal
Nadappathu Nalamaai Nadanthuvidum"
MGR got the message and immediately patched up.
4. In many intimate moments with Vali MGR had pured the burden from his heart. As Vali pointed out how several of the songs written by Vali had materialised, MGR pointed out that there is one song that could never materialise. That is from Panam Padaithavan.
"Enokkoru Magan Pirappaan
Avan Ennai Polave Iruppaan
Thanakkoru Paathaiyai Vagukkamal
En Thalaivan Vazhiyile Nadpaaan."
5. When MGR was the CM he hastily mentioned that the ADMK is implementing the principles embedded in the songs from his films. But upon pressure from the press he could not identify specifically those principles or songs. Immediately CHO Ramaswamy quoted the following song from Oli Vilakku in his Thuklak fortnighly:
Nanga Puthusa Kattikittta Jodithanunga-
Damukkadippan Diyalo Damukaadipan Dayalo...
Eh Singi.. Eh Singaa...
6. After Kannadasan left DMK in 1961 Velore meeting, there was a big vacuum in the DMK. MGR was pestering Vali to join politics, and Vali refused firmly. When Megala Pictures of Karunanithi took Engal Thangam, he was the CM. Vali wrote a song and several dignitaries including Vali were waiting for Kalignar to give an OK for the song. Karunanithi came late and heard the song. He was very satisfied with the rythm and the rhyming in the song. HE saw the poetic ability latent in Vali. He took Vali to a side and told him to present poems in the Trichy Radio Kaviarangam where Kalaignar was presiding. The song that touched Karunanithi most was:
Thanga Pathakkathin Mele -Oru
Muthu Pathithathu Pole-Unthan
Pattu Kannathn Mele- Onru
Mulaippoo Pallakku Adai Sumanthu
Mellath Thavazhvathu Kandu-
Oru Kodi Ennam Aasai Nenjil
Minni Maraivathu Undu
Azhagu Nadaiyai Pazhagum Chilaiyai
Anaikka Vanthene-Ithazhkal Pozhiyum
Amutha Mazhayil Mithakka Vanthene
Pattadai Thottada Thenral Kulirnthu
Pakkam Nadanthathu Enna
Uyir Kathal Thalaivan Kaval Irukka
Thottu Izhuppathu Enna?
Paniyil Nanayum Malarin Udalil
Oruvan Madiyil Mayangum Pozhuthu
Kothodu Muthada Vanjik Kodiyai
Thottu Thodarvathu enna?
Anthi Maalai Pozhuthin Kathal Ninaivai
Kotti Alappathu enna?
Oorum Uravum Ariyum Varayil Kankal Mattodu
Manamaalai Tholil Soodum Naalil
MGR SONG INFO CONTIUES
1. There was a song written by Vali and totally rejected by MGR. MGR was acting a film for his brother Chakrabani "Arasakattalai"
Vali wrote the follwing pallavi:
Aandavan Kattalai Munnaley Arasak
MGR immediately rejected as the film Aandavan Kattalai was also in the production stage. The song clearly impiled that Arasakattalai would be nothing compared to Aandavan Kattalai of Sivaji Ganesan.
2. There was a song that Vali wrote for a BR Bantulu film Nadodi. But MSV rejected saying that the song should be used in Raja Rani story and not in films with social themes. Vali liked the song so much that he gave it to KVM for the film Arasa Kattalai. KVM, MGR and everyone else accepted the lyrics in toto. The song, which is one of the best of Vali is:
Putham Puthiya Puthagame-Unnaip
Puratti Paarkum Pulavan Naan
Pothikai Valartha Senthamizhe
Paattil Vadikkum Kavingan Naan.
Palliyarai Ennum Palliyile Indru
Puthithaai Vantha Maanavi Naan
Ettai Puratti Paattaip Padikkum
Veetu Pulavan Nayagi Naan
Anju Viral Pattal Enna
Anjugathai Thottaal Enna
Thotta Sugam Onraa Enna
Thullum Ullam Pantha Enna
Sevvithazhai Kandaal Enna
Theneduthu Undaal Enna
Kothu Malarch Chenda Enna
Konjum Mannan Vanda Enna
Kaiyanaikka Vanthaal Enna
Meiyanaithuk Kondaal Enna
Muthamazhai Enraal Enna
Sorgamn Onru Unda Enna
Vetkam varum Vanthaal Enna
Vendiyathai Thanthaal Enna
Innum Konjam Sonnal Enna
Inbam Inbam Ebnraal Enna.
3. MSV once challenged Vali to produce a masterpiece. Should a song of that calibre be produced MSV was willing to present his gold chain, ring and gold plated Rolex watch to him. He did take them out and place on the harmonium box.
After a moment's thought Vali wrote the follwing song:
Kaatru Vanga Ponen-oru
Kavithai Vangi Vanthen -athai
kettu Vangi Ponaal-Antha
Kanni Enna Aanaal?
MSV was impressed and gave away what he promised, but Vali refused to take them. Later Avvai Nadarajan who was Secretary for Tamil Development in the Secretariat mentioned at a gathering that no one could write songs like Kannadasan. He then wrongly quoted this song to be the work of Kannadasan.
4. We all know that the film Thalaivan was delayed. MGR blamed Vali for having writen a song that had brought about the delay. MGR quoted the follwing song from the film:
The line Thalaivan Vaaramal Kaathirukka was the one that brought about the delay, said MGR. It was very timely that the advertisement board was carried into the studio then. Vali quickly pointed out to a spelling mistake in the advertisement which also conveyed a twisted meaning. Instead of reading "Thomas Pictures" it read Thamasa Pictures." So Vali pointed out that mistake to conveniently clear himself. OF course this was spoken in light vein.
5. MGR goes through every line in the lyrics. Maruthakazi once told me how meticulous MGR is in approving songs. In the film Ninaithathai Mudippavan, there is a song "Kannai Nambathey Unnai Ematrum" In the charanam Maruthakazi had written:
Pon Purulaik Kandavudan Vantha Vazhi Maranthuvittu- Than Vazhiye Pokiravar Pogattume"
MGR immediately pointed out what if the "than Vazhi happens to be a good vazhi" Maruthakazi was shocked at the sharpness of MGR's observation. So Maruthakazi immediately substituted the line as
"Kan Moodi Pogiravar Pogattumey"
The full line then became:
Pon Porulai Kandavudan Vantha Vazhi Maranthuvittu-
Kan Moodi Pogiravar Pogattume"
1. Vali, like many other beginners in the cine field had a difficult time coming up. He had to ride against the rough cinema tide and merciless politics. After a few years of suffering in Madras he decided to return to Srirangam. There was an offer. Kannadasan sent a message asking Vali to be his assistant for a monthly salary of Rs 300. Vali refused to be under the limelight of anyone else. Some time later he packed up to leave for his native place. As he was leaving he heard a charanam from a song of Kannadasan from the film Sumaithangi, sung by PB Sreenivas. The song is Mayakkama Kalakkama, and the line that touched the heart of Vali was:
"Unakkum Keezhey Ullavar Kodi
Ninaaithu Paarthu Nimmathi Naadu"
Upon hearing this line Vali got inspired and decided not to leave Madras. These two simple lines could change Vali's life.
2. Vali wrote the songs for Padagotti. The name of this film of Velumani was given by Vali himself. When there was the victory celebration of the movie, many were invited, including Kannadasan. Many cine poets spoke. When Kannadasan spoke he quoted these lines from the song "Tharaimel Pirakkavaithan":
"Velli Nilaave Vilakkai Eriyum
Kadalthaan Engal Veedu
Mudinthaal Mudiyum thodarnthaal thodarum
Ithuthaan Engal vaazkai
ithuthaan engal vaazkai"
After that Kannadasan took off his own gold chain and put for Vali. MGR of course appreciated that. In the words of Vali his greatest achjievement in the cine field was to have got the appreciation of Kannadasan.
3. When Enga Veetu Pillai of Nagireddy was in the production stage there was a serious attempt to separate Vali from MGR. The DMK had many DMK poets whom MGR did not use, but MGR was fond of using Vali a brahmin. Moreover, Vali used to move around with thiruneeru in his forehead as he was a pakka devotee of Murugan. The DMK made an issue of this. They asked MGR to get Vali into the DMK party or make sure he never moved around with the viboothi. MGR then went to see Vali. When MGR came, the song "Naan Manthoppil Ninririnthen Avan Mambazam Vendum enraan" was being recorded. MGR waited outside and was really enjoying the song. The song half melted MGR's heart. After the recording MGR took Vali to a corner and told him the matter and the problem the DMK was creating. Vali refused in no uncertain terms to do away with the viboothi. Instead Vali offered to leave MGR. After some thought MGR gave Vali the freedom to appear in public as he wished. Afterall MGR and many other pakka DMK leaders were strong believers in God. This song of Vali still remains raw in his mind not so much for its sweetness, but because of the conversation that took place immediately after the recording of it.
4. MGR's films have some of the very best songs the Tamil music films world has produced. There is no film with MGR as the hero where he never sang. But Manthiri Kumari is certainly an exception. In the film there is a song where MGR plays the harp to the dance of Saguntala(ha ha ha ha.. Vazhviley)
But the best songs were taken off by SA Nadarajan, the villain. Ellis R Duncan, the producer wanted the song "Varaai Nee Varaai" in the film. But the director TR Sundram refused it totally, saying it would not be accepted by the masses. After some argument, Duncan threw a challenge. Ellis R Duncan proposed to screen in Madras alone and see the reaction of the cinema goers. Should there be good response the song would be retained permanently in every other copy. Should there be bad resonse, the particular song scene would be cut off completely from all the copies. The challenge was taken up by TR Sundram. As agreed the song scene was screened in Madras, and the cinema goers gave tremendous support not only to the melody, but also to the hidden meaning in the lyrics and the way Nadarajan acted. Ellic won and TR Sundram was defeated. So the scene was kept permanently in all the copies, and we too enjoy it till today.
5. Its interesting go to the roots of MGR-VAli relationship. Poor Vali had a tough time getting the first inroad into film songs. He got a chance in Azhagar Malai Kalvan where the MD is Gopalan. The first song he wrote was "Nilavum Thaarayum Neeyamma Ulagam Orunaal Umathamma" sung by P. Suseela. After that he had a few chances, but those songs and the films never came out. He had another break in the film Nallavaan Valvaan-story of CN Annadurai. This is the first song of Vali for MGR film.The MD was TR Paappa. The lyrics was approved by Anna with some changes. TR Pappa composed the music. MGR heard the song and said he liked the music. Later he came back and said that the music was not up to the mark. So the music had to be changed ten days later. On the recording day the singer P. Suseela was not feeling well. It was again postponed to one month's time. On that day news came that Seergazhi Govindarajan was not well. The director P. Neelakandan felt that the song had no luck and wanted to use Maruthakazi to write some other song for the situation. Maruthakazi came and read the lyrics of vali and said the song is really good and there was no changes to be made. Finally the song was recorded. In Newton Studio the setting was done. A pond was set for both MGR and Rajasulochana to sing. Many rehearsals were taken. When the final shooting came, the bank of the pond broke and the studio's floor was flooded. Luckily the situation was rectified soon. At the end the shooting was completed, and the scene as well as the song became a hit. So like Kannadasan, Vali too had a tough ride in the initial stages. The dream scene was censored with some cuts. Its worth getting the full lyrics. The song was sung by PS and S Govindarajan.
SG: Sirikkinraal Indru Sirkikkinraal
Sindhiya Kanneer Mariyathaley
Sirikkinraal Indru Sirikkinraal
PS: Anbu thirumugam Kanaamal-Naan
Thunbak Kadalil Neenthi Vanthen
SG: Kaala Puyalil Anaiyaamal Nenjil
kaathal Vilakkai Enthi Vanthen
PS: Udaya Sooriyan Ethiril Irukkayil
Ullath thamarai Malaratho
ullath thamarai malaratho
SG: Ethayum Thaangum Idayamirunthaal
Irunda Pozhuthum Pularatho
irunda pozhuthum pularatho
PS: Then malaraadum Meen Vilayaadum
Aruviyin azhagai Kannero
SG Naan Varavillai Enbathanaal Un
Meenvizhi sinthiya Kanneero
PS: Malar mazhai Pole Meniyin Mele
Kulir Neeralaikal Kenjidutho
Both: Sirikkinrom inru sirikkinrom
Sinthiya Kanneer Mariyathale
Sirikkinrom inru sirikkinrom
So we could see words like Ethayum Thangum Idhayam(Anna) and Udayasooriyan(DMK) proposed by Anna. Some other words were cut by the censor board.
6. There situations where MGR could not dominate, especially before the release of Nadodi Mannan. When Madurai Veeran was in the production stage, the producer of Krishna pictures Lena Chettiar wanted a song reflecting ancient literature. Kannadasan gave such a lyric, and it was, for G.Ramanathan an easy job to give excellent tune. Lena heard the recorded song of "Nadakamellam Kanden Unthan Aadum Vizhiyiley- aadum vizhiyile-geetham paadum mozhilyiley" This beautiful song was sung by TMS and Jikki. Lena was so impressed that he sent for Kannadasan. At the same time he sent for a garland. When Kannadaan arrived, Lena Chettiar garlanded Kannadasan and gave him some cash, saying that the words in the lyrics were excellent. Then came the filming stage. Lena made sure that the scene was very well taken. Many techniques were used to come out with an excellent song scene, where Padmini and MGR gave life to the movie. Every word in the lyrics was well acted out. We have advanced very much in cinema technology, but it is still doubted if such a scene could be shot these days. And Madurai Veeran became the first Tamil movie to be released in 4 theatres in Chennai where the film ran for 100 days in all the 4 theatres. Personally speaking I will always forget myslef whenever I play this song scene.
7. There was an accustion on MSV. In about 1970 MSV was blamed by Sivaji unit that MSV was composing better music for MGR movies, but did not bother much about songs in Sivaji Ganesan's movies. This seemed to be the actual situation. Not that MSV wanted that way, but while MGR squeezed MSV whenever it came to composing of songs, Sivaji Ganesan only concentrated on acting. Close associates of Sivaji fanned up Sivaji, and Sivaji Ganesan confronted MSV. MSV denied the accusation. At that time the film Ponnoonjal was being produced. MSV made sure he did the best for Sivaji, and according to an interview MSV gave in Malaysian TV, in 1973 the records of Ulagam Sutrum Valiban and Ponnoonjal achieved a new record in sale. MSV made sure the song Aagaya Panthalile in Ponnoonjal alone stole the show. That pacified Sivaji's fans for that moment.
8. We know that MGR would squeeze MSV in all the films of MGR for good music. It was easy to bully MSV, but not that easy with KVM. Altogether MSV had composed for 37 movies of MGR while KVM composed for 34 films. MGR had the habbit of approving the tune while in the studio, but upon going home he would phone up and express dissatisfaction and demand for even better music.In Ulagam Sutrum Valiban MSV could not tolerate MGR's insistence for better and better music. Finally he sent off the cassette to MGR. MGR saw the irritation of MSV and paid him off with words of appreciation.
Next was Amalraj Pictures Netru Inru Nalai, where MGR could never get satisfaction whatever MSV composed. Finally MSV did one thing. He hired a taxi and sent the harmonium box to the house of MGR. MGR received the harmonium box and phoned up MSV to ask what this was all about. MSV replied that he had brought out all the best he could from the harmoinum box, and if MGR wanted anything better he was to try himself. Then MGR cooled down and accepted the tunes for the film Netru Inru Naalai. And true enough the songs of the film were good and the film ran quite well. Asohan, the producer died soon of debts. The profit received was not sufficient to cover the debts.
9. KVM was assigned to compose music for the film Thozhilali. There was one song that went very slow. KVM felt that that particular song could only have a slow speed owing to the situation where a manual labourer sits under the street light and sings in the silence of the night. KVM composed the song and felt that MGR may not approve. MGR heard the song and approved it immediately. So far this is about the slowest song of MGR. The song written by Alangudi Somu is:
"Aandavan Ulakathin Muthalaali
Avanukku Naan Oru Tholilaali
Annai Ulakin Madiyin Mele
Anaivarum Enathu Koottali"
10. There are many scenes in Tamil films where mistakes have been made. The mistakes were only discovered too lalte- after the movies had been released. The song scenes are also inculded in this category. In so far as MGR films are concerned mistakes have been minimal.
In the film Thaai Makalukku Kattiya Thali, there is a song "Onralla Irandalla Thamby" MGR and Thangavelu were shown riding a horse cart. While the cart was moving the hat of Thangavelu does not seem to be the least affected by the wind movement. But that is not the main mistake. As the cart moves in one direction the shadow of the branches above their head should be falling on them in the opposition direction. But a mistake has been committed in this song scene. As the two of them move in one direction, the shadow also move along with them.
In Kudiyiruntha Kovil, there is a bull fight scene in the song Thulluvatho Ilamai. (The bull is Rajshree) MGR comes with a cloth with two colours. One side is navy blue colur, and the other side is signal red. The red side should have been waved towards the bull (Rajashree) Instead MGR shows the blue colur. This is just a small error. But both songs mentioned above were so enchanting that these small errors faded away in their sweetness.
1. One of the most evergreen songs from Anbey Vaa is
Nalla Azhagi enben
Nalla Azhagi Enben
When Kamalhasan was producing Aboorva Sahodarargal he requested Ilayaraja to compose a song along the lines of Naan Paarthathiley. And Ilayaraja gave this song:
2. MGR films have one more "First" to boast of. It was in one MGR film that AM Raja and Jikki gave their first duet. That was also the first film where KVM was the MD for MGR movie. The film is Kumari and the duet song is "Irulile Nilavoli Pol Avar Varuvaar". The film also has one good solo by AM Raja, and it follows one famous Hindi tune.
"Azjiyaatha Kathal Vaazhvin
Oli Veesuval Ennalum
AM Raja was booked first for Kumari, but Samsaram was released first. AM Raja had sung a lot for MGR films. In the 1950s he became the number one male singer. With the vast expereience and knowledge he also became the MD for Kalyana Parisu. He shot up like a rocket, and came down immediately like a shooting star. After Kalyana Parisu, he composed for Anbukkor Anni, Then Nilavu, Aadi Perukku and Vidivelli. After keeping himself away for some time he came back as MD for Veetu Mapillai and Enakkoru Magan Pirappaan.
While working with Sridar, he gave a lot of problem to Sridar. Sridar had first booked AM Raja for Nenjil Ore Aalayam but replaced him with VR as he could not bear the nonsense of AM Raja.
Having composed for Then Nilavu, AM Raja refused to compose the Background music. The songs were released earlier and they becmae hits. The film could not be rleeased as AMR was holding ransom. Finally MGR came to know and forced AM Raja to complete the BGM. That was the end of AMRaja and Sridar's bond.
AM Raja became his own enemy. He was not only quick tempered but was also a highly suspecting character. So the very first MD to book hm (KVM) got ridd of him first after the film Manamulla Maru Thaaram where AM Raja and Jikki gave this duet:
Vayaadi Vambu Pesum
Maney Bathil sollu"
Then AM. Raja felt that the cine world was boycotting him. So he and Jikki kept away from the Tamil film world. He had income form several tourist cars. So financially he was OK. The loss was for us and him as well.
Oli Vilakku Of Gemini and Lakshmi Kalyanam of Kanadasan were being produced at the same
time. The MD for both was MSV and he was alternating between both studios to compose music.
When he was in Gemini studio MSV refused to compose music for the song "Thairiyamaga chol nee
manithan thaana" saying that the song was hitting at drunkards and it was a direct reference to
Kannadasan. MSV is and an ardent bakthan of Kannadasan. Vali and MSV were quarelling. MGR
intervened to solve the problem. MSV told the matter to MGR and Vali told that Kannadsan had
equally written a song in Lakshmi Kalyanam hitting at MGR. That song is "Yaarada Manithan ingey
Kootti Vaa Avanai Ingey -Iraivan Padaippil Kuranguthaan meethi ingey". MGR was always fearful
of Kannadasan's songs. So MGR asked MSV to bring the song and play it for him. MSV did what
was told. After listenng MGR said to Vali that there was no refernce to MGR in ths song. Vali
cooled down. Then MGR told the backgrounbd of the Oli Vilakku song to MSV. Oli Vilakku is the
Tamil make of P. Aur Pather. In the Hindi film Dharmendra deliberatley drinks. In the Tamil films
MGR should never be shown drinking. Tamilnadu could never bear it! So MGR modified the story
where he is given chloroform -like spray after which he is forced to drink. As he returns home, his
concience teaches him a lesson by singing out the ill efects of alcohol. MSV cooled own and
composed the music and it did come out very well. The famous song is:
Thairiyamaaga chol nee
manithan thaana? Manithan thaana? Illai!
neethaan oru mirugam
-intha mathuvil vizhum neram
manamum nalla gunamum
un ninaivai vittu vilagum
Maanai pol maanam enraai-nadayil
matha yaanai neeye enraai
vengai pol veeram enraai-Arivil
Uyarvaaga Chollik kondaai
mathuvaal vilanginum keezhaai ninraai
Alaiyaadum kadalai kandaai
kudithu pazhagaamal aadak kandaai
malaraadum kodiyai kandaai
mathuvai parugaamal aadak kandaai
neeyo mathuvaaley aattam kandaai
porul vendithirudach chelvaai
Pennai peravendi vilayiai cholvaai
thunivodu uyirai kolvaai
etharkkum thunaiyaaga mathuvai kolvaal
kettaal nanthaney manithan enbaai.
Kannadasan's life is an open book alright. But
when we read his novel Arangamum Antharangamum we will learn a lot of those "close books"
The same song of Oli Vilakku has one more interesting story. MGR was trying to complete his 100th film of Oli Vilakku on time.He was involved in too many night shootings. After shooting was over he used to return home. The others would remain to go through the ruch copies. One midnight after the shooting was over, the director, producer, sound engineer, cameramen and lightsmen were all seated in the dark mini theatre to screen the rush copy of the "Thairiyamaga chol nee" song scene. They were all appreciating MGR's acting and were giving suggestions as to how the song scene could have been improved. Suddenly a white figure rose from the back seat and said "OK. Get the settings ready again. I will improvise the acting as suggested" They were shocked to see MGR quietly sitting there. Luckily no adverse comment was passed. So the settings were put up again and the shots taken. MGR imporoved on his performance. The shooting was completed around 4.am. MGR is that much a perfectionis and a hard worker.This is what we are seeing today in Oli Vilakku.
MGR made Jayalalitha sing in the film Adimai Penn. When MGR told this to Vali, Vali told MGR that he knew this would happen. MGR aked how. Vali told MGR that he already made the prediction earlier in one of MGR's film. MGR asked what was the film and the song. Vali said it was in the film Arasakattalai and the song is:
"Ennai Paada Vaithavan Oruvan
En Paatukku avanthaan Thalaivan
Oru Kutramillaatha manithan
avan kovil Illatha Iraivan" MGR smiled.
In Oli Vilakku again there is one song that will be rembered so long as the name of MGR is alive. In the words of Vali this song literally became the prayers of the followers of the religions that abound in India when MGR was admitted into Apollo Hospital of Madras and later Brooklyn Hospital in the states in 1984. The song scene had Muslims, Hindus, Christians and Sikhs praying for the speedy recovery of MGR. The song that shot Vali, P. Suseela, MSV, and Sowkar Janagi into the height of everlasting fame was:
Iraivaa Un maaligayil
Ethanaiyo Mani vilakku
En thalaivaa un kaaladiyil Enthan
nambikkayin Oli Vilakku
Nambikkayin Oli Vilakku
Aandavaney Un Paathangalai Naan
oruyirai nee vazhavaikka-inru
unniduam kaiyenthineen Murugaiyaa..
En Irandu Kankaliley
Inba Oli Undaagum
Allith tharum Nallavarai
Vinnulagam vaa Enraal
Megangal kan kalangum
Minnal vanthu thudi thudikkum
Vallal Mugam Paaraamal?
En Uyirai tharuginren
Mannan Uyir Pogaamal
Iraivaa Nee Aanai Idu
Iraivaa Nee Aanai idu
Aanai idu iraivaa ...iraivaa.... Iraivaa.
This song was written for the film Oli Vilakku. But it carpetted the entire Tamilnadu when it was played in the radios and cassette players in 1984. Emotion ran high. Throughout the poeriod MGR was hospitalised those involved in the song were remembered in the hearts of Tamilnadu people. Even when the film was released in 1968 the papers did write that the scene did remind the MGR's shooting incident on 12 January 1967- Pongal day.
Anyway belated Happy Pongal to all of you!
1.One of the songs of Vali had impressed MSV so much that he called Vali one more Kannadasan that MSV had got. The song is in Oru Thaai Makkal. The song is:
Paadinaal Oru Paattu
Paal nilaavinil netru
Odinen athai Kettu
thedinen Valai Pottu
poonguyil Aval Yaro
Ponmayil Aval Pero
2. In one of the talks Kannadasan said "Muthal Iravu pola mosamana Iravu Veru Ethuvum Kodaiyathu. Ethanayum muzhusaka seithu mudikka mudivathillai" He reflected this thought in one of the MGR films- PAASAM. The frustration of the weding night was expresed in the words of a female -using S. Janagi. The song is Jal Jal Jal Ennum Salangai Oli. The line of interest is "Muthal muthal thirudiya kaaranathinaal muzhuthaai thiruda maranthuvitten"
This line was well discussed in literary cirlces, not so much in cine circles.
1. Dream songs are permanent features of MGR films. Most of the dreams are by the females for obvious reasons. There are very few song scenes where MGR and the heroines dream. There are even fewer song scenes where MGR dreams alone. In the song "Sarasarani Kalyani" in Raja Desing, he day dreams. In the song "Pavalakkodiyile Muthukkal Poothaal" in Panam Padaithavan he day dreams. In "Sirikkinraal Indru Sirikkinraal" in Nallavan Vazhvaan he dreams in sleep. So MGR has very few dreams. Dreams are by and large by the heroines.
2. If we read Chinthithen Chanthithen of Kannadasan we could get the feelings of Kannadasann for Devika(leave alone the other favourites) So in Ananda Jothy he has written a song expressing his feelings for her. Why Ananda Jothy? Because in that film MGR appears as the pulavan apart from being a drill master. Place Kannadasasn in the place of MGR and listen to this:
DK: Poiyiley Piranthu Poyile valarntha
Unnai Purinthuk Kondaal
Unmai Therithuk kondaal
Intha poovayar kulamaaney
KD: Pooviley Piranthu
Unnai purinthuk kondaan
unmai therinthuk kondaan
intha pulavar perumaaney
DK: Nejiley vizhuntha ninaivugalaaley
valarnthathu un Uruvam
KD: Inru Neriley vanthu Maarbiley Ennai
Anaippathu Un Uruvam
DK: Vellai Ullamey Kavithai Vellamey
Kaathal Kanni unthan Sontham
KD: Kaathal Kilaiye Kayil Pillaiye
Intha Mullai Enthan Sontham
KD: Satrey Sarintha kuzhaley Asainthu
Thaavuthu En Meley
DK: Athu Thaaney Ezhunthu Meley Vizhunthu Izhuthathu Valai Poley
KD: Netri Potttiley Soodum Pooviley
Kaanum Yaavum Enthan Sontham
DK: Nenjat thattiley Ennai kottinen
Enthan Yaavum Unthan SOntham....
(Purigiratha? Kanaga is the living proof)
Both the thilakams-Nadikar thilakam and Makkal thilagam have some common features.
1. TMS was an ardent supporter of MKT . In the initial days he was singing the songs of MKT alone. People used to call him "kutty MKT". He wanted to be the assistant of MKT. But MKT told him to stand on his own. When the initial songs of TMS were played in the radio, people used to think they were sung by MKT. "Annamitta Veettiley" of Manthiri Kumari was one song misunderstood this way. But TMS had always wanted to sing the songs of MKT in the films. The chances came in Madurai Veeran and Kulamakal Rathai. In Kulamakal Rathai the song "Rathey Unakku Kobam Aangathedi" from Sivagami was sung word for word by TMS. The character in Kulamakal rathai is Ratha(Saroja Devi) So the song suited. KVM was the MD for both Sivagami and Kulamagal Rathai.
In Thruneelakandar there is a song by MKT "Theena karunaa karane Nadaraja Neelakandaney". The tune was used again in Madurai Veeran- Echi Pizhaikkum Thozhiley Sarithaana Ennip paarunga"-by TMS and Jikki. The MD for both are G Ramanathan. In the Madurai Veeran song scene MGR and Padmini provide super Indian folk dance which would put every listener (old timer) to dance. This is one of the best dance performances of MGR. MGR is aware of the contribution of GR for his films. Towards the end GR was hospitalised, mainly because of sorrow caused by poverty. He wanted MGR to do a film for him. MGR agreed, but GR died by then.
2. Likwise there are two films of MGR and Sivaji that never released the records. One is Sridar's Sithoor Rani Bathmini with Sivaji Ganesan and Padmini acting. The super songs were by GR but they never came out in record.
The other is Kalai Arasi with MGR acting, and KVM providing the music. This is the first Tamil film to show outer space. An utter flop, but have good songs.
Seergazhi Govindarajan sang in both films. When he was in my house in Malaysia he wanted me to somehow get these songs for him. They were never available in Tamilnadu. Meanwhile he took along colection of his own songs that I had kept in audio cassettes. He himself never had his collections. But before I could provide him the Kalai Arasi and Sithoor Rani Pathmini songs he was called by the Almighty. What wonderful songs!
It is really time consuming to post these. I think I've given sufficent info. This is yet another quicksand. I'll take leave now. Hope others would continue. Thanks for the support. Sorry if I had offended anyone.
The film for which Ilayaraja was about to compose for MGR was "Unnai Vida Matten"
You are right that MDR could not dominate G. Ramanathan. But there weree many MDS who were highly poressurised by MGR to come out with their best. No MD escaped this. MGR was a perfectionist and he made it a condition that all tunes and lyrics must be made OK by him before recording the songs. MSV had tremendous pressure for the songs in Ulagam Sutrum Valiban, and the pressure paid off. KVM had tremendous pressurre for Ayiram Nilavey vaa in Adimai Penn(
Thanks for mentioning about Dr. Seergazhi.
Ive been to see Dr. Seergazhi in Manthai Velipakkam in Santhome area Madras a number of times. Dr. Seergazhi has come to my house in 1985 when we discussed at length on cine songs. He was surpriesed I had so many songs of him in cassette. I gave him the collection of his songs. Im happy Dr. Seerkazhi Siva Chidambaram had mentioned this. Dr. Seergazhi had requested from me songs that had not come out in record. They are from Sithoor Rani Pathmini (Music by G.Ramanathan) and Kalaiarasi (Music by KVM) He also asked me to send the video of the film Agathiyar. Before I could forward these he passed away.
The late Navalar Nedunchezhiyan had requested Dr. Seergazhi to compile albums of songs by Seergazhi tuned by G. Ramanathan, but this too did not materialise.
Ive been meeting many singers, MDs and lyricists in all my 10 trips to Tamilnadu. I've posted the info I acquired whenever the relevant topics surfaced.
Manisegaran Original thread