Topic started by Akki (@ 188.8.131.52) on Tue Jan 1 05:09:10 EST 2002.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
As I will be translating the following Tamil lyrics, via English,
into Dutch, I need to be sure that the English translation is accurate.
Can someone comment on it, and please translate the question marks (if any)?
Thanks a lot!!
PS: I forgot to mention that I don't understand one word of Tamil
Film: Alai Payuthey
Song: September Madham
thunbam tholaindhadhu...inbam tholaindhadhu...
- ??? ... my happiness is lost ...
septembar maadham septembar maadham vaazhvin thunbaththai tholaiththu
- september month, september month, lost the sorrows of the life
aktoabar maadham aktoabar maadham vaazhvin inbaththai tholaiththu vittoam
- october month, october month, lost the happiness of my life
thunbam tholaindhadhu eppoa...kaadhal piRandhadhae appoa
- when you lost your sorrows ... love was born at that time
inbam tholaindhadhu eppoa...kalyaaNam mudindhadhae appoa
- when you lost the happiness ... you got married at that time
- oh girl...
kaadhal enbadhu inikkum virundhu kalyaaNam enbadhu vaeppangozhundhu ae
- love is like a fest of sweets, marriage is the bitterness of the neem
oa niRaiyil mattumae kaadhal paarkkum kuRaiyil mattumae kalyaaNam paarkkum
- oh my boy, love sees only strengths, marriage sees only weaknesses
kaadhal paarppadhu paadhi kaNNil kalyaaNam paarppadhu naalu kaNNiladi peNNae
- oh girl, love is seen only by half an eye, marriage is seen by 4 pairs of
* (4 pairs?, I assume 2 pairs?)
kiLi mookkin nuni mookkil koabangaL aLaiginRa rasikkum rasikkum kaadhal
- on the tip of the noses, love enjoys even the beauty of the crows
kalyaaNam aanaalae thurumbellaam thooNaaga aen aen aen moadhal
- after marriage even mole hills become mountains, why this clashes
peNgaL illaamal aaNgaLukkaaRudhal kidaikkaadhu
- men without women, man can't have the consolation
peNgaLae ulagil illaiyenRaal aaRudhalae thaevaiyirukkaadhu
- if women aren't there in this world, men may never need consolation
kaadhal enbadhu kazhuththil sangili kalyaaNam enbadhu kaalil sangili en
- I have found out that love means heavy chains, marriage means auspicious
chain, what can i do?
* (what is meant here? 'love is strong, marriage is weak???')
kalyaaNam enbadhaith thaLLip poadu thoNNooRu varaikkum ???? vaa anbae
- postpone the marriage till 90 and come my love, let's cross 100 also
kaadhal pozhudhil virumbum kuRumbu kalyaaNak kattilil kidaippadhillai en
- my friend, i don't get the love's irons and splinters in marriage cot
* (what is meant here?)
pirivonRu naeraadha uRavonRil sugamillai kaadhal kaadhal adhudhaan
- there is no happiness in relationship in which there isn't a seperation,
that's what love is
uRavoadu silakaalam pirivoadu silakaalam naam vaazhvoam vaa vaa
- come let's live with sometime with relationship and sometime with
aaNgaL illaamal peNgaLukkaaRudhal kidaikkaadhu
- without men, women don't have the consolation
aaNgaLae ulagil illaiyenRaal aaRudhalae thaevaiyirukkaadhu
- if there aren't any men in this world, there is no need for consolation
- From: raycas (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Tue Jan 1 08:26:28 EST 2002
"I forgot to mention that I don't understand one word of Tamil"
hmm...for someone who doesn't understand one word of tamil u seem to be an expert in tamil.
what's ur mothertongue? dutch?
p.s.: sorry, can't help u.
- From: Akki (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Wed Jan 2 06:17:56 EST 2002
I'm no expert in Tamil. The translation I've posted is from the dvd, but often it doesn't make sense to me, as the grammar and English words chosen seem a little weird.
I am hoping that someone can make some corrections.
As I live in Holland, Europe, my language is Dutch. I also speak Hindi. But unfortuantely, no Tamil!
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum