Topic started by Yakkov (@ 188.8.131.52) on Sat Jul 19 18:42:28 EDT 2003.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
SPB Light Music Program - $20 Ticket $20.00
An evening of Mega Light Music Program by PadmaShri S.P. Balasubrahmanyam & renowned playback singers Mano, Malgudi Subha, Malathi Lakshman with SUN T.V famous Lakshman Sruthi Orchestra in Atlanta.
Date & Time : Saturday, July 26th at 6.00 PM
Venue : Gwinnett Civic Center, 6400 Sugarloaf Parkway, Duluth, GA 30097.
For more details:
- From: xml (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Sat Jul 19 18:56:11 EDT 2003
Thanks for the information.
- From: xml (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Sat Jul 19 19:04:09 EDT 2003
The same group also have concert in NJ.I don't know more details of that.
- From: Yakkov (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Sat Jul 19 19:13:00 EDT 2003
Yeah, I read that somewhere too. Are you going to any of the shows?
- From: interpreter (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Sat Jul 19 20:27:17 EDT 2003
I am still looking high and low for the details of the Toronto concert scheduled for the weekend of August 2. This, beyond doubt, must be one of the best kept secrets ;-) Any kind soul willing to shed light?
- From: TeluguFan (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Fri Jul 25 16:24:41 EDT 2003
I am one of the person who attended the show in NJ. If you want to listen to telugu songs, DON'T GO TO THIS SHOW. They will merely sing 3-4 songs. It's going to be a complete Tamil program. We were cheated in NJ. They say that they are going to sing Telugu and Tamil, but they won't. The Lakshman group people can't even speak telugu. That guy MANO didn't even sing one telugu song. It is my sincere advise and this is what happened in NJ.
- From: xml (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Fri Jul 25 17:02:49 EDT 2003
Mr telugufan don't feel cheated. It was organised for tamil.
- From: fan (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Sat Jul 26 07:12:30 EDT 2003
telgu fan, sorry that you cannot listen to telegu songs. spb is a great genius. But it is the tamil film world that gave him the initial push and it was with illayaraja that he created history. spb sir is more of tamil than telegu to us in tamilnadu
- From: Kaumudi (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Sat Jul 26 11:10:50 EDT 2003
"But it is the tamil film world that gave him the initial push" - can you substantiate this statement of yours? I really don't understand what you mean by this.
- From: xml (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Sat Jul 26 12:15:32 EDT 2003
Mean SPB is adopted by tamil film industry and also mano.The laxmansruthi group is from chennai. So they will sing mostly tamil song.
Imaging if a group uditnarayanan,anumalik,alka yagnik comes to US for a concert.They will sing hindi song mostly.
- From: IG fan (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Mon Jul 28 20:40:28 EDT 2003
This is a silly discussion. SPB is born telugu and got his initial PUSH singing for telugu movies (by SP Kodandapani). I went to the concert in Atlanta in which they sang half the number of songs in telugu and half in tamil. SPB sang great songs in both langs and got national awards singing in telugu, ,tamil and hindi!!
The songs are great and so is the music, which in itself is a universal language.
- From: Kitcha (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Mon Jul 28 21:26:04 EDT 2003
I was at the ATL concert too...amazing stuff, if only the mornic sponsors had not interrupted proceedings with their stupid-ass "temple building" powerpoint presentation..Jeez!
Anyway, SPB was near flawless in his rendition of some great songs, the best one being 'Sangeetha jaathi mullai', which drew a standing ovation. There were enough Telugu songs to cater to the Telugu audience. In fact, I think Mano sang more Telugu than Tamizh. I'd say it was a 60-40 ratio of Telugu to Tamizh and that is a fair enough ratio considering the orchestra was also primarily Tamizh based.
Other highlights of the show:
- SPB sang a hitherto unknown saranam that Vairamuthu had written for 'Idhu oru pon maalai pozhudhu' (romba sumaar thaan).
- Mano mentioned how he usually dubs for Rajini in Telugu and did the Padayappa "Yen vazhi thani vazhi" in Telugu. He even did the Rajini walk! :)
- During a song, images of people related to the song were flashed on the screen. The loudest applause was for a Rajini photo followed by Vikram & Ilaiyaraja. There was silence when a Vijay photo was displayed, while people laughed when Deva's photo was shown.
- The female singer from Laxman Sruthi, though is not a great singer, can apparently sing in different voices. She did an almost perfect Paravai Munniamma, while also rendering Chitra songs with ease.
- After singing 'O Paapa Laali' in Telugu, SPB mentioned that it was Vetturi(lyricist) and Ilaiyaraja at his best.
- After 'Andhi Mazhai', SPB said 4 people needed to be also mentioned..."Singeetham Srinivasa Rao, Kamal Haasan, Vairamuthu and last but not least, Ilaiyaraja". The crowd applauded as each name was mentioned. Then SPB quickly added S.Janaki's name to his list. When no one acknowledged her name, SPB repeated her name loudly, which drew IMO forced applause. Strange crowd reaction, I thought!
- After 'Ilamai enum poongaatru', SPB talked about composers getting inspired sometimes..then went onto sing an old OP Nayyar hindi song and then transitioned into 'Ilamai enum poongatru'. Never heard about this before.
- SPB sang 'Vathi kuchi pathikaadhu da' from 'Dheena' after which he told the audience that the song was composed by the "little maestro".
- SPB did not sing any Rajini song nor any MSV song!
- Malgudi Subha sang obscure songs, but she sure does know how to get a crowd going. She had the best line in the show before singing a Telugu song. She said "This made me popular in Telugu..a completely 'chaalu' song, but God bless it".
- Before singing 'Tere mere beech mein', SPB mentioned that he DID expect a National Award for the song...and got it.
- From: Ajay Rao (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Mon Jul 28 23:18:42 EDT 2003
Hi SPB Fans, I happened to meet SPB after the concert in Atlanta and mentioned about our discussions about the Telugu-Tamil songs presented in the present concert tour. He was saying, he was part of the band called Laxman Shruthi which happens to be basically a Tamil music group. They might be able to present Telugu numbers, but they are relatively less in number. He ascertained that he conditionally toured to the North American sponsors saying that the shows would be mainly in Tamil. There may be two or three numbers in Telugu presented. Unfortunately, due to reasons best known to the local sponsors, they gave hope to the audiences saying that there will be equal number of songs in Telugu and Tamil. Having come to know about this after the NJ show, he made the orchestra to practice at least half a dozen Telugu numbers which were presented in Atlanta and in San Jose. Had SPB visited the country with his own group, things would have been different. Sponsors should be very careful in publicizing about the musical shows when a multi-lingual singer like SPB is presenting concerts lest the audience will put the blame on the singer. Knowing the temparment and nature of SPB, we all know how he should have reacted to the comments at least in future let the sponsors take care of the sentiments of fans and not try just to draw the audiences to the auditorium by wrong publicity and keep the artist in discomfort.
- From: Teja (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Tue Jul 29 01:08:40 EDT 2003
Good info. I figured that would have been the reason.
A couple of years back, SPB did a show in Bay Area. All the songs were in Telugu and there wasn't even a single Tamil song. What do you have to say now?. If you like SPB, fine. But don't try to create lingustic differences here. SPB is the most revered artiste in AP and he will remain so. He is not ditched by any one here and he need not be adopted by some one else. SPB still gets a single card albums in Telugu. Can you show a single recent album in Tamil that has all songs by SPB?
Ilayaraja gave more soulful melodies in Telugu. Will it be fair if telugus start saying that IR is more of a Telugu than tamil?
Whether SPB sings in Telugu/Tamil, it all depends on who invited him.
After all, music has no language.
- From: fan (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Tue Jul 29 03:24:51 EDT 2003
teja, you are correct. it all depends on who invited him. if the sponsors are tamil, naturally tamil songs will be mainly there with a few telegu songs.
but still spb is much more a tamil than a telegu to all of us in tamilnadu. it is under illayaraja that spb reached his peak. Illayraja's music got glorious reception under spb's voice.
- From: Thenraja,K. (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Tue Jul 29 10:44:45 EDT 2003
Here is a list of songs played at the Atlanta Concert.
1. SPB - Telugu - Shankara - Shankarabharanam
2. SPB - Tamil - Ithu oru pon mazhai pozhuthu - Nizhalgal
3. Malathi - Tamil - A song by Vijayalakshmi Navaneetha krishnan?
4. Malgudi Subha- Telugu - Chik Baga chik...
5. Mano - Tamil - Thooliyile - Chinna Thambi
6. ? - Telugu - Priya Priyatha.....
7. SPB - Tamil - Ilaya nila pozhigirathu - Payanangal mudivathillai
8. ?- Telugu
9. SPB - Hindi - tere mere - Ek Duje Keliye
10. SPB - Tamil - Vaththikuchchi - Deena
11. Malgudi Subha - Tamil - Vaal paarai...
12. Malgudi Subha - Telugu - Old song by LRE
13. Mano/Malathy - Telugu - Tel version of 'achchachcho punnagai..'
14. Mano/Malathy - Tamil - veerapaandi kottaiyile - Thiruda Thiruda
15. Mano/malathy - Telugu - rukku rukku...?
16. SPB - Tamil - Ilamai enum - Pagalil Oru Inravu
17. SPB - Telugu - oh pappa laali...
18. SPB - Hindi - Dil deewana -
19. SPB - Tamil - Mannil intha -
20. Mano/Subha - Tel - Thayya Thayya
21. Subha - Tamil - Yamma yamma
22. Mano/Malathy - Telugu
23. Mano/Malathy - Tamil - Vadi vadi nattukkkatta
24. Mano/Malathy - Tamil/telugu - mukkalaa muquabula - Kathalan
25. SPB - Tamil/Telugu - thakida - Salangai oli
26. SPB/Malathy - Tamil - Anthi Mazhai -
27. SPB - telugu
28. SPB - Tamil - Sangeetha Jathi mullai - kaathal oviyam
29. Malathy - Tamil - ?
30. Malathy - Tamil - ?
31. Mano/Malathy - Telugu
32. Mano/Malathy - Tamil - Dhool song
33. Subha - Tamil
34. SPB/Malathy - Telugu - thelusa.. manasaa..
35. SPB/Malathy - Tamil - Oh Podu - gemini
36. Mano - telugu - ?
37. Mano - Tamil - Autokkaran - Baatcha
38. Mano - Telugu - ?
39. Malathy - Tamil - Madurai veeranthan
40. Mano/Malathy - Telugu
Can any of you make additions/corrections.
Also, I left a few minutes prior to the show ended. I heard that
Mano/Malathy - Tamil - Neeyoru kaathal sangeetham - Nayagan
was one of those that I missed. Can you fill in the additional songs.
-SPB mentioned at the start of the show that it was not his show, it was Lakshman Shruthi's show and he is a part of it. It was true.
-Came to know from one of the volunteers that SPB had 5 more songs to sing, but due to lack of time he could not do it. SPB himself had told the organizers that he did not want to have a break, but the organizers had made a commitment for the slide show on temple construction and other unnecessary announcemnts.
- From: kumar (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Tue Jul 29 23:30:34 EDT 2003
I am also trying to find out the details about SPB concert at Toronto, supposedly this weekend (8/2, 8/3). I could not find any information about this concert anywhere.
Thanks for your help.
- From: somethings cannot change (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Wed Jul 30 00:59:40 EDT 2003
The list above is typical of such concerts and I avoid those like hell ;--) shows no effort to present melodious songs, thinks audience is dumb and just want to get done with it. NO wonder SPB does a disclaimer. don't people get sick singing the same old hits innumerbaly everywhere, when the audience has multiple copies in varius formats including lousy stage recordings?
- From: Raghu (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Wed Jul 30 07:03:01 EDT 2003
>>He is not ditched by any one here and he need not be adopted by some one else. SPB still gets a single card albums in Telugu. Can you show a single recent album in Tamil that has all songs by SPB?
well said, Tamil MD are real Dumb!!
- From: Thenraja,K. (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Wed Jul 30 07:20:41 EDT 2003
from 'spbfans' yahoo group:
the shows in toronto are on Aug. 2nd and 3rd...
place - "Music Hall" 147 Danforth ave.
for tickets call 416-335-7774, 416-298-0900, 416-332-0961 ,416-495-9155
- From: Raghu (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Wed Jul 30 09:48:09 EDT 2003
would u know, if SPB is planning a show in London ??
- From: Big G (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Fri Aug 1 21:33:20 EDT 2003
Any one know where to find SPB's tour itenary..
- From: Curious (@ )
on: Mon Oct 6 09:58:40 EDT 2003
Does anyone remember the exact song that Malathi Laxman sang in the SPB, Sreeni concert in Toronto. It was a folk song by Mrs. Vijayalakshmi Navaneedhakrishnan. The song was very interesting in that it went really slow in the beginning and then the pace picked up towards the in the end. It would be great if anyone could tell me where to find that song!
- From: Lakshman (@ )
on: Wed Nov 24 03:27:06 EST 2004
Dear Curious...it starts with 'thandhanda naathitham...' song: Onnaam padiyeduthu by Mrs. Vijayalakshmi Navaneedhakrishnan. Album: Dr.VNK's graamiyap paadalkal (folk songs). available in our lakshmansruthimusicals store.
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum