Topic started by JJ (@ 22.214.171.124) on Tue Jul 30 12:07:51 EDT 2002.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
In those days like early 80s in Rajini movies, we used to see some fast paced music during titles.
I guess Mouna Raagam has the best title music i have ever heard. Any other choices.
- From: ahi (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Tue Jul 30 18:53:53 EDT 2002
I used to record the title music from films onto tape, I remember watching VEEDU (By Balu mahendra)when I was kid, and the movie didn't have any title music, the credits rolled as Sokalinga Bagavatar sung unaccompanied,later in another movie that I remember with no title music was Roja, the title credits rolled as you hear gun shots, helicopters, chants.
anyway some movies with beautiful title music
that I can recall
GOPURA VASALILE(beautiful flute piece whenthe train goes through the tunnels)
IDAIYATHAI THIRUDATHE( both title music was nice
The "I love you" humming during the english credits, and the 2nd title music(in Tamil) when Nagarjun is being examined.
KALKI: nice alaap by Hariharan, followed by an instrumental that is very similar to a song from the soundtrack "Dead man walking"
SANGAMAM: a beautiful instrumental piece with tanpura, timponi and flute (a variation of Varaga nathi ?)
- From: sc (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Tue Jul 30 20:00:49 EDT 2002
"Gopura Vasalile" indeed has the best title music I've ever heard in a tamil movie. Amazing, wonderful flute by IR.
- From: x (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Tue Jul 30 22:32:39 EDT 2002
If you get a chance, watch the following movies for the best title music by IR
- From: sabesan (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Tue Jul 30 23:19:03 EDT 2002
- From: S.P MAHENDRAN (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Tue Jul 30 23:48:40 EDT 2002
Guna by IR
- From: Vj (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Mon Aug 5 02:18:24 EDT 2002
'Bombay' title music.. my first xp with ARR .. damn good drumbeat with a hoarse cry symbolising violence.
- From: Vj (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Mon Aug 5 02:25:26 EDT 2002
"ellamey en raasadhan" - title music.. a flute and a drumbeat...
- From: nagarajan (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Mon Aug 5 15:39:37 EDT 2002
In the 60s and 70s, Ceylon radio used to broadcast the title music of the following films :
1) Raaja (MSV) (1972)
2) Dr Siva (MSV) (1975) - really fantastic
3) Paarththaal Pasi Theerum - MSV-TKR (1962)
4) Veettukku Veedu - MSV (1970)
5) Gauravam MSV - 1973
6) Gna Oli - MSV - 1972
7) Thiruvilaiyaadal - KVM - 1964
- From: GB (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Tue Aug 6 13:01:54 EDT 2002
nayagan n bombay...
u can feel the sorrow n misery of the story just by listening to the title music
- From: Teja (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Tue Aug 6 14:17:32 EDT 2002
Speaking of IR, here are some of his telugu films that have awesome title music.
Maharshi (Best ever for a telugu film - Unbelievably good)
April 1 Vidudala (End credits)
Antahpuram (End credits)
Shiva (End credits)
and a lot more
- From: Vj (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Wed Aug 7 08:09:56 EDT 2002
Devadai - end credits - IR
i believe there's a theme music for Devadai too.. can any1 gimme the link online for that?
- From: SHUJA KAMAL (@ )
on: Sat Apr 10 15:39:59 EDT 2004
Please Visit http://www.geocities.com/shujajapan/ Email email@example.com Dubai U.A.E
- From: mEGAtAMIL (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Sat Apr 10 16:16:51 EDT 2004
latest tAMIL ringtones pls visit http://www.megatamil.com
- From: piratheepan (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Sat Apr 10 16:53:41 EDT 2004
- From: skumar (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Sat Apr 10 17:06:06 EDT 2004
1. pudhiya mugam (ARR) - excellent title piece. The BGM is excellent for the entire movie.
2. anjali (IR) - short and sweet title music. Whenever I hear this music, I immediately know that it is from anjali. excellent BGM for the entire movie. I hold this BGM close to my heart. Both the movie and the music complement each other. Whenever I see this film, I feel sad that the MR & IR combo are not working together nowadays.
3. uyire/dil se (ARR) - both opening credits and ending credits. The opening credits featured a kid singing in assamese (I think so), followed by a group of violins. This was a beautiful piece. The end credits feature the tune of the song "Vinmeengalai thandi", played again by set of violins, in Western Classical style. This song was not present on the cassettes or CD's.
4. my dear marthandan (IR) - This featured a song "oru ooril oru raja". The tune of this song appears throughout the movie as a BGM. This song was not available in the cassettes and CD's.
5. Captain Prabhakaran (IR)- a powerful title music with IR's majestic orchestral touch. The entire BGM of this movie is powerful. If soundtracks of tamil films were released more often, then this film should be one among the first deserving such a treatment.
- From: ahi (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Sat Apr 10 18:02:23 EDT 2004
Hey This thread is still around ?
I wrote on it like 2 years ago
does anyone rememeber the title piece in "Vandicholai Chinrasu" ? it has this
I think Shahul Hameed and someone else singing this
little number that was never in the CD, something like
and then goes off into a melody line like "Nee mella sirithaal.." I liked that theme alot.
other than that movies such as
and many many more have had amazing title pieces
lately not many movies have this musical intos, usually they are
just an amalgamation (and a bad arrangement of the songs in the movie.
any other stand out instrumentals in movies that have come out recently ?
- From: skumar (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Sat Apr 10 18:14:04 EDT 2004
continued from my previous posting:
6. Kadhal Virus (ARR) - Though the movie was not a success, the title music was beautiful. It had a male voice humming a romantic tune along with soft beats.
7. Vanna Vanna Pookkal (IR) - A beautiful flute piece.
8. Iruvar (ARR) - There is no music for the opening credits. But, the end credits was beautiful. The entire BGM was excellent. The following are what I can recollect immediately:
- One of the initial scenes, when Mohanlal visits a studio. When the studio gates are shown, the music starts. He enters the studio and no one is in sight. He sees a throne. Imagining himself to be a king, he sits on the throne. The BGM is majestic during this entire sequence. The major instrument for this BGM is a horn instrument(probably trumpet, i am not sure).
- the scene where Prakashraj shows to Mohanlal, the sea of people waiting to catch a glimpse of him, outside the hospital. This features a music with thumping percussion. This again appears at the beginning of the end credits music.
- the scene where Aishwarya jumps from the moving jeep and Mohanlal lifts her up. This features a jazz piece with a female voice (I think it is Harini's voice)whispering some words. This is an excellent piece.
- the scene when Mohanlal is asked to don the role of a police constable. This features a beautiful BGM reflecting the sorrow of Mohanlal. This is the BGM that comes during the end credits.
- From: skumar (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Sat Apr 10 18:28:18 EDT 2004
Of the recent movies, iyarkai by Vidyasagar had a beautiful BGM. The title music, as the sea is shown, is a beautiful one. There is an excellent piece with a male voice(I think Tipu) singing "yelelo". This appears at various stages of the movie as well as the climax.
- From: V (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Sun Apr 11 14:43:26 EDT 2004
Iruvar had the best BGM by ARR!
I agree with each and very scene you mentioned skumar!
I would have mentioned the same exact scenes!!!
- From: Music_lover (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Mon Apr 12 09:44:25 EDT 2004
there was a junk movie in the 1990s - titled "ENGA THAMBI" featured Prashant - its title score by IR was awesome - on par with the title score of "GOODWILL HUNTING" by Danny Elfman - of course, on any day, IR is way ahead of DE!
- From: dubya (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Mon Apr 12 10:18:24 EDT 2004
"Time" movie also had one of the timeless classics of an opening title music unfit for that crappy movie
- From: cho (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Mon Apr 12 10:34:10 EDT 2004
All mahendran's movies had awesome title music. Watch poottadha poottukkal, udhirippookkal, johny. World class!!.. When I was listening to IR's work in Johny, I was thinking 'Ivar inga irukka vendiya aayae illa..'
- From: skumar (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Mon Apr 12 14:48:49 EDT 2004
Iruvar was indeed a wonderful film by MR. The camera work by Santosh Sivan was excellent. ARR gave excellent music. IMO, I think it is a landmark film for tamil film industry. I feel sad that it was not received well by the audience. Hope it gets its due someday.
- From: aruvi (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Tue Apr 13 06:29:34 EDT 2004
Azhagi title music was amazing.
- From: Vel (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Tue Apr 13 07:53:05 EDT 2004
As far as IR is concerned, my choice would be
a) Aboorva sahodarargal - narrates the entire storyline through music
b) pandavas end titles...PERIOD
- From: Ravi (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Tue Apr 13 09:24:28 EDT 2004
When I saw this title, the first film which came to my mind was "Mouna Ragam" and JJ had also mentioned in his post. I dont remember "Gopura Vasalile" (makes me want to watch the film again as many of you have listed that film). One more film to my liking was "Guna". The title music sounds very DIVINE! Takes me to another world (dont know if others have experienced the same feeling with that score).
- From: Yesakki raja (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Tue Apr 13 11:02:31 EDT 2004
IR is another level in BGM and title music!
Although ARR has his own sweet ones. IR's music is too powerful and drives you to Nirvana when it comes to title music BGMs.
Take Gopura Vsalile:
1. IR's BGM with haunting flute and Violin.
2. PC Sreeram's dark cinematography through the rail tracks.
3.Priyadarshan's Imagination in showing a misty coonoor rail system in a slow motioned camera.
1+2+3= nIRVANA ON eARTH!
Another film that comes to my mind is My Guru Balu Mahendra sir's Marupadiyum! Anyone noticed that?
- From: ahi (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Tue Apr 13 19:07:51 EDT 2004
hey do you guys rememeber the old 70's and 80's psychedelic trance like title cards, you know the ones with the pink background with white writing and blue writing on green background and mad disco music ? I remember my parents watching all theses videos( videos were just around in the 80's me think ?) and the movies would start with the film production company's theme, my favourite (and i was somewhat terrified by it then ) was the AVM theme, you know the one where the camera zooms into the AVM logo, and I remember most Bhartiraja films in those days started off with a
statue of (Laxmi ? ) with MOnoj creations and a song.......... and then the long wait til all the acknowledgements and thank you title cards go thru.... and then "Bingo"... you start tohearthe title music.
Here in New Zealand they play tamil movies once in a blue moon and there is this Aunty who likes to read loud the names on the title credits, I'm like I wanna listen to the music.
hey question, was there an instrumental for "NAndha" ? Pithmagan's title sounds was kind
of uneasy eh ? it goes from that straight into that awsome instrumental theme.
- From: karthik_pf (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Wed Apr 14 18:30:55 EDT 2004
VIRUMAANDI - What a haunting piece! I'm really surprised it's not talked about that much...
Kadhalar Dhinam - Very good piano work in the title music
- From: ahi (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Wed Apr 14 22:12:28 EDT 2004
Do any of these BGM mp3 sites have title music on them ? can anyone suggest a site I could go to listen to
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum