|Home Forum Wiki Notes Mobile Register FAQ Sitemap About Us Contact Us||
Topic started by suren (@ webcache03p.cache.pol.co.uk) on Sat Jan 9 18:04:00 EST 1999.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
I have always believed that the main reason behind IR`s disappearance from TFM scene,ofcourse
- Old responses
- From: Karthik (@ pppa48-resalebeaverton1-1r7171.saturn.bbn.com)
on: Tue Nov 30 23:02:24 EST 1999
Vaali is undoubtedly one of the greatest lyricists. There is no use blaming him for IR's waning fortunes. IR himself has to blame because he is now more interested in promoting his sons and daughter(whose voice i hate but have no choice).
Vaali writes according to what the MD's demand. His gem is "Ennai kaanavillaye netrodu" in Kaadhal Desam. He is ultimate after ofcourse Kannadasan
- From: PS (@ cache00.erlm.siemens.de)
on: Fri Dec 3 07:48:16 EST 1999
Sorry for the digression, but..
> V (from mot.com) : As if, guys like Pazhani Bharathi and GA are any better in stds !
I feel, GA had better std & excelled well as a lyricist! [Esp.ly those colloquial lingo!]
1. siRu ponmaNi asaiyum athil theRikkum puthu isaiyum [appt words for tht nice sandham!; raagham-bhaavam-thaaLam pOla, naanum neeyum sEra vENdum; ..payiraaNathu un ninaivugaL]
2. sendhoorap-poovE, sendhoorap poovE
3. raaman aaNdaalum raavaNan aaNdaalum enakkoru kavalai illE!
4. niththam niththam nellich chooRu nei maNakkum
5. oru iniya manathu isaiyai aNaiththu sellum
6. kaatril endhan geetham, kaaNatha ondraith thEduthE
7. en inyia pon nilaavE, pon iniya
8. uRavenum puthiya vaanil, nanaindhathE idhaya mOgam
9. poongathavE thaazh thiRavaai..poovaai
10. Eh thendralE.. ini naaLum paadi vaa
11. puththam puthu kaalai, ponniRa vELai
12. azhagil azhagu, thEvathai [film: raaja paarvai]
13. ooru sanam thoongiruchchu, oothak kaaththum..
[once upon a time, www.gangaiamaren.com claimed tht he had written over 1000 songs! But now, this link takes me to TNEB website?!]
- From: Tamil Kavi (@ gwnj.utstar.com)
on: Fri Dec 3 11:55:33 EST 1999
Making Vaali responsible for all woo of IR is rather unfortunate and a mistake. IR was supreme during 80s. He had all choices of lyricist. You know what IR says about the lyrics. This came in Kumudam I think.
Muthan variyil 'Aa' vandal aduthavariyil
"Aavanna varum". IR can not make music for Kannadasan's lyrics where MSV did. In IR's period, the lyricis has to write for the music. Since IR can choose GA and likes of him, he simply did not care for the lyrics. So, it is purely IRs fault.
Remember what GA said in one of the functions. "Do not worry about Kannadasan's demise. I am here."
Vaali had to be very practical to live in the cine world, otherwise, VM and GA like would have taken his chances.
Inspite of this, Vaali has a talent and imagination to give a better songs and he should not have given a crap. He will regret if he looks back and when the future condems him.
- From: eden (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Sat Dec 4 07:15:30 EST 1999
"IR can not make music for Kannadasan's lyrics where MSV did"...
Have you heard songs like `azhagiya kannE' and `kannE kalai manE'...?
If you want to praise somebody, go ahead and do that.. but to make absolutely stupid statements like the one above is uncalled for, IMHO!
- From: S (@ netcache31.mot.com)
on: Sat Dec 4 12:09:25 EST 1999
period, the lyricist has to write for the music.<<
That's bcos kannadasan was no more when Raja was at his peak and anyday I wud let his music dominate the "great" lyrics of VM, Vaali, or GA.
- From: Tamil Kavi (@ gwnj.utstar.com)
on: Thu Dec 9 18:24:58 EST 1999
IR is primarily responsible for detoriation of quality of Lyrics. I am not trying to say IR did not make music for Kannadasan's songs at all. He simply does not care for Lyrics, so, he does not like to make that many with Kannadasan. Or probably he finds to difficult to make music for songs which is not the case with MSV. I am also FAN of IR, but I personally feel led down by IR that he is primarily responsible for degraded quality of lyrics in his period. It all started in his period. This does not mean there are no good lyrics. There are, but majority of them are lousy.
- From: eden (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Thu Dec 9 23:53:59 EST 1999
Your observation of `IR finding it difficult to make music for songs' sounds far fetched! (It'll fill pages & pages if I start disproving this as there are just too many examples...Just to remind, please listen to all those gems of his earliest films, where he had absolutely no chance to dictate terms..)
However, I do agree that IR preferred to demand songs for his melodies soon after he became dominant. But a talented kavignar won't try to justify poetic mediocrity on that, telling that it curtails creativity etc...please listen to the songs of the dubbed film Salangai Oli...So I cannot agree that Raja is the primary reason for deteriorating quality of lyrics! It's a combined contribution of the lyricists, story lines of films, demands of producers, directors, tastes of the generation & ALL the MDs..
Now, some of the reasons for IR's policy (i.e. mettukkuppAttu) could be:
1. He wanted to be the dominant person (okay, he had lots of ego)
2. It gave him a lot of freedom to experiment multiple forms of music (till date no one has tried so much variety in music, with such a degree of success)
3. As Shankar pointed out, after Moondram Pirai (1981), KD was not around.
4. Even when KD was around between 77-81, there could have been `availability / efficiency' problems, as KD's `www' is well known, coupled with health issues. (The same `www' affected TMS as well). These could have been intolerable for a disciplined MANAGER like Raja... Personally, I won't like to work with a boss/colleague/sub-ordinate who can give only 25% of his efficiency during working hours, however talented he may be!
- From: NVdavid (@ bkj-cache81.jaring.my)
on: Fri Dec 10 03:00:06 EST 1999
what can I say about what IR doing with Vaali all this while where his music touches us more than the lyrics that songs contained in it! Bet you, IF ( its a BIG IF ) IR couples back with VM, who can stop ARR from goin back to the advertising musics?? Tell me I am wrong!
- From: S (@ netcache31.mot.com)
on: Fri Dec 10 09:29:41 EST 1999
I second u, though I don't like VM (When Raja and VM parted , nAn Raja katchikku thAvittEN :-))) ), his combo with Raja will be just great!!!
- From: Tamilkavi (@ gwnj.utstar.com)
on: Fri Dec 10 09:56:49 EST 1999
IR with VM? Forget VM. He is worser than Vaali. VM was good, no more. He can pair with any other new lyricist like Pazhani Bharathi.
- From: v-- (@ netcache2.mot.com)
on: Fri Dec 10 10:39:23 EST 1999
I also second you. I even doubt if ARR gets place
in advertising jobs. Because of him there are so many other good MDs are introduced and they will do a good job on advertisement than any others
- From: Udhaya (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Fri Dec 10 14:53:58 EST 1999
It's an uncanny ritual the way threads shift from their focus in TFM. Can we put this thread to rest now, please?
- From: raj (@ )
on: Wed Mar 20 04:37:21 EST 2002
Can We Resume this Thread Now
- From: Fan (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Thu Aug 5 11:17:53 EDT 2004
Please give me the recent songs for which Vaali penned the lyrics. thanks!!!
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum