Topic started by Nithin (@ nc.pr.mcs.net) on Tue Jun 16 02:24:26 EDT 1998.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
Dear Lovers of Tamil Film Music: Haven't you felt that sudden sense of a incalcubale feeling enveloped by a patina of heavenliness when you heard a certain song? At the same time did your heart not go out to reach Mother Nature in a way that you experience a great mystical attachment to a beauty that only you could see when you were for sometime alone in this world lost in that special song that came by and enshrouded you? Did not that mystical song bring to you a sense of securedness and ethereal beauty. Let me explain with examples of songs, what exactly I mean. The purpose is to highlight the special nature of the songs that makes them mystical and extremely personal in your life. I am sure you too will be able to relate to these songs because such is the nature of the songs I am talking of. In that regard, it will be good to share with us those songs that have kindled that rare mystical feeling in you so much so that you felt that nothing else was ever going to match or replace that feeling when you heard the songs that have that mystical nature in their composition and delivery. Only few composers have achieved that ability to create such priceless songs and I am sure these are songs not really commonly discussed in most of the threads.
- From: Nithin (@ nc.pr.mcs.net)
on: Tue Jun 16 02:55:15 EDT 1998
The songs by their mysterious melodies are most special to me as they do not make me ecstatic or jump up in joy or admiration, but bring about a calming in my mind and heart:
1. Malare Yen Intha Koppan, Athanal Yenna Yenna Laapam (Sankar-Ganesh) in Auto Raja
The melody evokes a special mood that makes you prefer to enjoy loneliness as long as it is there. Hear the charanam part.
2. Sangathil Padatha Kavithai (Raja & SJ) in Auto Raja
Again, the charanam makes you feel that you are in front a temple all by yourself and surrounded by trees and tall grasses on a beautiful evening.
3. Paniyum Naane, Malarum Neeye (Sankar-Ganesh, sung by SPB&SPS, I forgot the name of the movie)
Reminds me of the a cloudy day up in the hills, maybe a drizzle that makes you feel you want to get drenched in the rains.
4. O Maaya, O Maaya, Ooti Malai Katrile, Pottu vaitha Rottile, Yendan Kadal (Illaiyaraj in Enagakku Kkathiru) Especially the interludes brings that dramatic feeling of going up a rugged terrain in Ooty and you have the open forests. Reminds me of the song, Puthiya Vaanam Puthiya Boomi, Yendrum Pani Mazhai Pozhigirathe!
5. Pani Mazhai Vizhum (SPS & Deepan Chakravarthy) The instrumentation in this song provides the backdrop of a night where the rains have fallen very hard and you are trying to find your way back to your little wooden home up in the hills with the help of the moonlight that is trying to clear through the dense grey clouds to find you.
6. O Vasantha Raaja, Theyen Sumandha Roja (SJ&SPB) in Neengal Kettavai - Illaiyaraja. This song has that raaga which makes me feel I am at a highly sacred and ancient Temple
7. Azhagiya Tamizh Magal Ival - (Raman Theduya Seethai, TMS & PS) MSV. The interludes are extremely mysterious and this takes you way back through the ages to a very romantic time in your mind.
8. Nadiganin Kadali... (SG song in Aattukkara Alamelu? Kamalhasan film sung by SPB) Ooh La La of Minsara Kanavu type song, however, with a great mood giving tune.
9. Poon Thendra Kaatre Vaa (Jeyachandran and PS in Manjal Nila song by Illaiyaraja) a touch of sentiment, mystical mood and romance.
10. Uravennum Pudiya Vaanil (Nenjathai Killathey, SPB&SJ, music Illaiyaraja) One of Raja's greatest mystical numbers, can't explain the feeling.
11. Ival Devathai (Music by Shyam, I forgot the name of the movie, sung by SPB or Deepan Chakravarthy) Beautiful feelings grow in your heart.
12. Malare, Malare Kurinji Malare (KJY&SJ in Dr. Siva?) Not really a song that can be considered similar to the songs listed above, however, it is a classic mood evoking song.
What do you folks think? Any of those rare, rare tunes you can remember. I know TFM has the highest number of such compositions.
- From: Bharat (@ isdbsd1-inet.ci.mil.wi.us)
on: Tue Jun 16 15:19:14 EDT 1998
Hi again. I have a question for you. From your explanation, it looks as if each of these songs evoked an emotional response in you. So isn't this topic be very similar to Viswa's "Songs that produced an emotional response..." thread (one of the best ever, BTW)?
- From: Nithin (@ nc.pr.mcs.net)
on: Tue Jun 16 19:19:40 EDT 1998
Not quite. Many songs evoke different type of emotions, like love, joy, sadness, etc.. We may speak of 'Oru Thanga Rathathil Oru Manjal Nilavu' as giving emotions when one thinks of their Sister or 'Amma, Nee Sumanda Pillai' of that feeling one has for a Mother or a "Kanne Kalaimaane" giving you that specific sense of pity or concern or the song 'Nila Adhu Vanadhu Mele' where emotions rise high thinking of Raja doing a celebration number. And, there are thousands of songs with which each of us have associated a distinct phase in our life.
The above songs have something mysterious about their tunes, not usually used by the composers, because these ragas or melodies do sound special and can be used only very rarely. The feelings that I got when listening to these songs are exclusive, precious and totally detached from any of your own emotions. That is what I meant, there are a few stand-alone songs such as these. I am thinking maybe some of you there also thought the same of the songs listed by me!
- From: RV (@ 1cust84.tnt1.scl1.da.uu.net)
on: Tue Jun 16 23:28:35 EDT 1998
Nadiganini Kadali is from Thayillamal Nanillai
- From: venky (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Wed Jun 17 06:04:36 EDT 1998
Anybody heard the song "Mallai Pozhudin Mayakathile" which brings a fresh of air to you. Maalai pozhuthil oru ramyamana paatu.
- From: Srinath (@ socks15d.raleigh.ibm.com)
on: Wed Jun 17 09:09:05 EDT 1998
1. Devathia Ilam Devi
2. Naan paadum Mouna Raagam
3. Sindiya Venmani sippiyil
4. Anbe Vaa Arugile
5. Paadum Vaanam paadi
are some songs that feel mystical to me. But these are off-beat songs and sound a whole lot different from other songs.
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum